Increase expression in students’ reading with this small-group activity! In advance, make a set of face cards, as shown, for each team of four students. Begin by reviewing with students how expression improves fluency. Give each team a set of cards. Then have pairs of teams follow the directions below to play the game.
- Each member chooses a card.
- Team 1’s Player 1 reads a sentence aloud from a book, using a tone that matches his chosen card.
- Team 2 tries to identify the emotion. If players guess correctly, Team 2 earns one point and Team 1 earns two points. If not, no points are earned.
- Team 2 takes a turn in the same manner.
- Play continues with students taking turns reading sentences until one team earns 15 points.
(From: “The Mailbox”)