Skill: retelling story events in sequence
Retelling skills take shape during this project. After a child reads a fiction story, have him list its six main events on a sheet of paper. Then have him follow the directions below to make a three-dimensional hut to display information about the story.
Materials for each student:
- 6″ x 18″ white construction paper strip
- 9″ construction paper circle
- Fold the paper strip into six equal sections and number the sections from 1 to 6. Write about and illustrate one event in each section, ordering the events from beginning to end.
- To create the walls, tape the ends of the strip together so the words and illustrations face outward.
- To create the roof, draw a point in the center of the circle. Draw a straight line from the point to the outer edge and then cut along the line. Write the book’s title on the outer edge of the circle. Overlap and tape the two cut edges to form a cone.
- Put the roof on the walls.